|1ST DISTRICT||RAMON||C||NOLASCO||SP Member|
|1ST DISTRICT||MARIA OLIVIA||B||PASCUAL||SP Member|
|1ST DISTRICT||ROMEO||S||GARCIA||SP Member|
|2ND DISTRICT||MELVIN, JR.||K||VARGAS||SP Member|
|2ND DISTRICT||VILMER||V||VILORIA||SP Member|
|2ND DISTRICT||ALEXANDER||S||DAGUNA||SP Member|
|3RD DISTRICT||KAREN KAYE||T||TURINGAN||SP Member|
|3RD DISTRICT||MILA PERPETUA||C||LAUIGAN||SP Member|
|3RD DISTRICT||WINNOCO||R||ABRAHAM||SP Member|
|3RD DISTRICT||CHRISTIAN||R||GUZMAN||SP Member|
A Smiling Land of Beauty
Institutional, Industrial and International Trade Center in the Philippines
CagayanProvince lies on the northeast most part of Luzon occupying the lower basin of the Cagayan River. It is bounded on the east by the Pacific Ocean, on the west by the Cordilleras, on the south by the province of Isabela and on the north by the Babuyan Channel. It is well traversed by many rivers, with Abulug and Cagayan Rivers as the largest. The province comprises an aggregate land area of 9,003 square kilometers, which constitutes three percent of the total land area of the country and is the second largest province in the region.
The Spanish Friars notably the Dominicans, brought Western culture to Cagayan. According to Fr. Francisco Rojano, the great chronicler of the province, Cagayan got its name from the Ilocano word “karayan” or river referring to the Rio Grande de Cagayan. The early Spanish settlers also called it “Rio Ibanag”. The river runs from south in Quirino to the north bisecting the whole valley.
In June 29, 1583, Don Juan de Salcedo traced the northern coastline of Luzon and set foot on the Massi, Tular and Aparri areas. The Spanish Friars soon established mission post in Camalaniugan and Lal-lo, which became the seat of Nueva Segovia established on August 14, 1595. The Spanish influence can still be seen in the massive churches and other buildings that the Spaniards built for the spiritual and social welfare of the people.
The Japanese forces occupied Cagayan from December 1941 to July 1945, until the Philippines got its independence in 1946.
Cagayan today is the Regional Seat. Tuguegarao City, the capital, is the seat of commerce and trade and center for learning. The province has the largest marine fishing grounds and 73 percent of the region’s potential fishpond area.
Known as the spelunker’s, trekker’s and gamefisher’s paradise rolled in one, Cagayan provides a never-ending adventure. The province is now being promoted as an adventure and eco-tourism destination. Both foreign and local tourists continue to explore its caves, engage in game fishing expeditions, trek its mighty mountains and retreat to its centuries old churches.
Travel to the province is a never-ending adventure. Daily flights are provided by Cebu Pacific and Air Philippines. Various bus companies have lines to Cagayan Valley Region, while public utility jeepneys, buses, tricycles and calesas are the common mode of transportation for short leisurely trips.
The Provincial Government Envisions that Cagayan is “ a peaceful, progressive and self-sustained province; a center for education, tourism, commerce and trade; whose citizens live in a healthy environment and enjoy the full realization of their potentials through dynamic, response and efficient governance.
Cagayan lies in the northeastern part of mainland Luzon. It has, including the Babuyan Group of Islands, has an aggregate land area of approximately 9, 007.7 square kilometer (km2). It is the second largest province of Cagayan Valley Region; and constitutes 3% of the total land area of the Philippines.
STA. ANA and the PALAUI ISLAND is 158 kilometers from Tuguegarao City. It is the Philippine Sailfish Capital famous worldwide for its abundant marine life. The Cape Engano Lighthouse in Palaui Island dates back to the Spanish Regime and is the only existing lighthouse in the northeastern coast with white sand beach, rich marine resources and uncontaminated environs. It has been declared under coastal environment protection. Also in Sta. Ana is the Cagayan Special Economic Zone Authority and Free Port and the white sand beaches of Angib.
WIDE EXPANSE OF BLACK FINE SAND BEACHES sprawling along the coastal towns of Sanchez Mira, Sta. Praxedes, Claveria, Abulug, Ballesteros, Aparri, Buguey, Gonzaga, and Pamplona and the white sand beaches of Fuga and the Babuyan Group of Islands.
BASILICA MINORE OF OUR LADY OF PIAT (The Lady of the Visitation) is located 33 kilometers from Tuguegarao City. Originally called the Lady of the Holy Rosary, perhaps because the devotees of the Rosary, the Dominican Friars, supposedly brought it from Macao to the Philippines in 1604. This more than four-centuries old image was first enshrined in Nueva Segovia now called Lal-lo. The image is famous in the country and abroad as the Black Mary making Piat the Pilgrimage center in the Northeast.
ST. PHILOMENE CHURCH in Alcala is the widest brick church in the province. Located along the Maharlika Highway, it stands as a mute witness to the several regimes that have enriched the province’s cultural heritage. Alcala town is also famous for its carabao milk candy.
SANTA MARIA BELL in San Jacinto de Polonia Church is said to be the oldest bell in the Far East. Forged in 1595, it was brought to Manila in February 1937 as part of the attractions during the 33rd International Eucharistic Congress. Camalaniugan town is 93.6 kilometers from Tuguegarao city.
CAGAYANRIVER is the Philippine’s mightiest watercourse - the longest at 301 kilometers and widest river in the country. Three major tributaries – Ilagan River, Magat River and Chico River meet other streams and flow to the Cagayan River. The famous “lurung” fish abound in the river during the rainy season when the river is murky and the fishes swim upstream from the delta at Aparri to spawn. It empties at the Aparri estuary.
LALLOTOWN is home to the Magapit Hanging Bridge and the St. Dominic Spanish Colonial Church, the former seat of “Ciudad Nueva Segovia” is featured in the annals of Philippine History as one of the four oldest cities in the country. The Magapit Hanging Bridge is the first of its kind in Asia and serves as the gateway to the Ilocos Region through the Cagayan-Ilocos Norte inter- provincial highway.
ST. JAMES PARISH CHURCH and the IGUIG CALVARY HILLS is 16 kilometers from Tuguegarao City. In the eleven hectare rolling hills are the larger-than –life size concrete 14 Stations of the Cross depicting Jesus Christ’s suffering before His death on Mount Calvary. The place also features a three centuries old well, a Dominican convent ruin and the scenic view of the Cagayan River a setting of which resembles that of the River Jordan.
PORTABAGA FALLS in Sta. Praxedes is one of the tallest falls in Cagayan. Approximately 15 meters in height, it has manmade pools and picnic huts for excursionists. Sta. Praxedes is194 kilometers from Tuguegarao City and is about 100 meters from the highway.
APARRI DELTA is an impressive expanse of land that is Aparri where one can see the Cagayan River meet with the China Sea. Walk into the jetty to find the estuary of Cagayan River.
CALAYAN ISLAND is a destination for nature and adventure lovers; its waters - the Babuyan Channel is home to dolphins and whales. Still in its rare untouched form, the island is best visited during summer for adventure and nature tripping, an island get-away with similar offerings like Batanes. The island is accessible by boat from Aparri